Tuesday, August 28, 2007

The "End Times"

For centuries people have been speculating about the end of the world. Will people stoically face their fate, conscious of how powerless they are to change it? Or will they dwell on the end, making it more painful than if they had accepted it? As an incoming college freshman, I feel I have some experience with this question. Although I know that the day I leave is not the earth's Armageddon, sometimes it seems as if it is my family's.
Prior to this week, I have spent as much time as humanly possible with my friends, soaking them up before we all go separate ways. But now, with only 10 days left, it seems to be my family's turn to soak me up. This entails going to movies and shopping with my mom, and taking the time to talk with my dad. It means sitting down as a family to talk, not just to watch the latest Blockbuster rental. Which is all good, except for the high emotions. I know that I will cry when my parents drop me off at school, that much is given. But I really don't want, or feel the need, to break down now. My parents, and especially my mom, are a different story. A tip for your future "End Times": Don't bring out old photos, show your parents how much you have packed, or mention exactly how many days you have left. Trust me, you don't want to make this any harder for yourself.
As difficult as these times are, there are some upsides. No one will tell you not to eat the cookie dough or to clean your room. You will realize what a great thing you have with your friends. And you will see that, contrary to what you previously believed, you will miss your family.