Thursday, August 23, 2007

Two Weeks to Go

After graduation, a whole summer was spread out before me, acting as a buffer to the fear and apprehension that the coming year would bring. However, slowly that summer has shrunk, until nothing remains of it but two flimsy weeks. As these months have drawn to a close, my excitement has built, but so has my anxiety. Now is a time of waiting; of buying the last few forgotten necessities, of crossing my fingers and hoping for a good roommate. I have already registered for classes and am able to begin imagining the late nights that await me. Two days before my registration day, I began tracking my classes, feeling my stress level rise every time more people joined a class that I was planning to enroll in. I imagined myself stuck with the reject classes that ended at nine at night.
Thankfully, Cal Poly freshmen get first choice in classes their first quarter so I was able to get all the classes that I desired. I am wait listed for one, which in itself will be an experience. My biggest worry right now concerns my roommate. It overshadows the classes I plan to take and the friends I will be making. More than anything, I just want someone that I can relate to. I’m not asking to love them, just that we will tolerate one another. Unlike some schools that match roommates up by interests and priorities, the only commonality that my roommate and I are sure to share is that we don’t smoke. So for now, my time will be spent tying up loose ends; buying the last items on my numerous checklists, corresponding with my roommate, and soaking up my time with family and friends.