Sunday, August 26, 2007

First Week at College

My first week here at Kansas went by faster than I could ever imagine. Saying goodbye to my parents was hard, but not like I thought it would be; once they left I started feeling like I was at camp. The whole sorority thing didn't work out. I started Fall Formal Recruitment (the recruitment process, also known as "rush") but it just didn't turn out like I had hoped so I quit a few days into it. One of my best friends is here with me and she quit as well so it made it easier. The day after I quit I started classes. The first days weren't bad, lots of syllabus reading and getting to know the classes, just like I expected. Like I said, this last week went by fast but it was also a lot of work; at least two and a half hours a day of homework which is more than I personally ever did in high school. Along with that, Chelsie, my friend who is here, and I decided that we're going to work out five times a week, Sunday through Thursday. So we've kind of made a routine: I'm done with class everyday by two, so then we immediately go to the library for a few hours, finish our homework and then go to the Rec Center to work out and after that who knows.
I'm sure it's because it's the first week here, but kids are going crazy and wanting to go out every night even during the week. The first day of school, which was a Thursday, I went out with some girls we met and it was fun but this last week I went out on Thursday as well and my only advice to whomever is reading this (not trying to sound like a mom) but honestly remember that SCHOOL is the reason you are at college...not only to party...especially on school nights.
Meeting friends hasn't been as easy as I thought it would be (I'm not trying to scare you, but it's just different than I expected.) I switched high schools my junior year and it was amazingly easy to meet people. I'm pretty outgoing and social and within a few weeks I had made best friends. I guess it's only been a week and a half here, but I'm not sure that the people we're hanging out with now are going to be my best friends for life, like everyone talks about. We've met some guys, but again none that I can picture myself hanging out with every weekend; therefore, our goal for the week is to find cool BOYS. I'll let you know how that goes next week!
Well that's pretty much all I have for now, I'm sure there will be some exciting stories next week :)