Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Ugh. It's only second week....

and the amount homework I have is insane! This term I am taking Biology: Genes and Evolution, American Social History from 1607 to 1865, and Spanish 102 (which is like Level 2 Spanish). My schedule is so crazy: all three classes every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday; Bio Lab from 8 to noon on Tuesdays; and Spanish TA sessions every Tuesday and Thursday from 1 to 2. Oh, did I mention I still have swimming after class, and Choir every Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday nights? It's amazing that I still have time for homework! Currently, I'm not worried because I've been managing my academic schedule and my activities schedule pretty well, but as I said, it's only the second week, and it's only going to get harder.
The only class I don't like at all is Biology, which really disappoints me because I liked it so much in high school. In college, the things we learned before are explored more in depth, and with the pace we are going, it is sort of hard to keep up. Also, the labs are so much work. We have pre-lab work and post-lab work, and all of it so far has involved math--yuck.
So far I have been disappointed with the classes I thought I would like, such as Bio this term and Calculus the last. Well, finally this term I found a class I really like--my American History class! It's really interesting, and I don't actually mind all the reading we have to do. Perhaps this could lead to a history major or an American studies major? I really like that idea. Also, I have been looking a little more into the music department--a music major is something I've decided to reconsider. I was very active in all things musical in high school, and I'm pretty sure many people thought I would be a music major--something I swore I would never become. Now, I don't have to choose a major until my sophomore year, but it's something I've been thinking about a lot lately, and I thought to myself, "What's one thing I love to do more than anything else?" and singing was the only thing that I could think of. And the more I have pondered it this week, the more I want to major in vocal performance. So, we'll see how that turns out this term.
I hope that I haven't weighed myself down with too many activities this term, but I know I can pull through. Wish me luck with the new term!