Saturday, January 24, 2009

2nd Semester... Let the Adventures Continue

I think the motto for this semester is just keep walking! I have only gone to class two days and I am already exhausted.  On Wednesday I went to English and Stress Management. English was great. It is an honors class so I have the same professor as last semester and many of the same classmates. This made the atmosphere very relaxed and I was actually looking forward to the semester. Unfortunately, this feeling did not last long. That night I had Stress Management. That was my first mistake, taking a night class in a building I had never been to. I do not like walking on grass when I can see let alone at night when it is dark. Thankfully I made it to class on time without any major mishaps. It was once I got to class that the fun really began not! The professor was extremely nosey and he could not understand why my classmates or I had stress. Then he made us sit in a circle and introduce  ourselves. He was firing personal questions to everyone, but when he got to me the questions just kept coming. Why did I use a walker? What is CP? How did I feel about it? My personal favorite was when he said that I just needed to accept the disability. Let me just say that I think talking with a person who has a disability about his or her condition is a good thing. It is only through knowledge that we can learn acceptance. However do not ever tell a person how they should handle it, especially if you do not have a disability. To say I was angry is an understatement I think he plans on making me the class project. Thank goodness that class is only one day a week! Thursday came and although it was much more physically demanding it was less aggravating. I had to walk across campus twice and I only had fifteen minutes between classes. I had three classes in a row and my legs were very glad when I finally got home. I was quite proud of myself as I made it to all of my classes on time. I can tell that Tuesdays and Thursdays are not only going to be physically demanding, but also mentally. I have Macroeconomics and Spanish. As you already know from last semester Spanish is not my best subject. Economics seems challenging, but I hope to learn some things I can do to help reduce the current crisis.
Although these times are filled with crisis we did earn a victory in terms of one of our oldest conflicts: racism with the swearing in of Obama. On Friday the college had an assemble to honor Martin Luther King Jr. The speaker also knew Obama. The speaker spoke about both MLK's life and Obama's determination to be president. He mentioned how young both of these extraordinary men when they began their journeys. This gave me hope that I also can make a difference. This is why I am determined to just keep walking, working and pursuing adventure because everyday is an adventure.