Thursday, December 18, 2008

It's not procrastination if you don't have work to do

The last two weeks of my first semester were tough, but not nearly as bad as I thought they were going to be. The plan I've been following all year of getting my work done promptly and planning out my schedule works perfectly. I had to turn in 6 papers, plus many revisions and other short papers from earlier in the semester, and assemble them all into 4 portfolios for each of my classes. Though that was time consuming, I still found myself with enough time to eat and sleep, which I was worried I would be missing. I'm glad to be done with two of my classes, but I'll definitely miss two of them as well. Having such small class sizes really helps forge a strong bond between everybody in the class, students and instructors alike. I won't be missing my Latin America class, as educating as it was, since it was unquestionably the toughest course I took (a third-year student told me that it was the toughest class she had taken her entire time there) Friday, the last day, was a bit hectic since I had to turn in all my work, return the (overdue) books to the library, and pack three month's worth of clothing for my trip, which was early the next morning.
My uncle and my cousin were visiting schools near me, and so they picked me up at school and brought me to the airport in Boston. Getting through the airport was much less stressful than I had anticipated, as nearly no one else was there. The flight was short, and before I knew it I was back in Minnesota. I met my family at the airport, and then went to my grandparent's house to eat dinner with the rest of my family. Driving back home, I didn't get the feeling that I had been away for a long time. I suppose when you drive around somewhere 1,000+ times in your life, leaving it for 4 months doesn't really change anything. I was one of the first people back home, and many of my friends are yet to return, but I have spent this week hanging out with all my friends and enjoying the fact that I can sit around and do nothing and not have to call it procrastination.