Monday, February 23, 2009

Science hasn't changed

For the first time all year, I found myself completely zoning out during class, and, of course, it was during my science class. I'm doing all my work in the class and doing my best to pay attention, but a college science class is still a science class, and it's still over my head. I know it could be a lot worse, and I'm glad my professor is very understanding of the fact that not everybody is as passionate about what he's teaching, but whenever he begins speaking in thicker jargon and only a few students in the room really follow what he's doing, I find it really hard to pay attention.
But aside from that part of that class, everything else is going fine. I gave my first presentation of the year (with a partner) and it went smoother than I could have imagined. I was clearly overprepared, and my partner and I were more than ready to talk past our 15 minute time allotment. For my fiction writing class tomorrow, my story is being workshopped, and I'm pretty nervous since I wasn't particularly proud of the story. I've never written in the third-person for fiction before, and I think the story clearly reflects that, so I hope the class goes easy on me.
A thing that has been nice about this semester is that, in the absence of many of my friends who have moved into different buildings, I'm meeting more people. It's nice to know that the friend-making process doesn't simply end after the first few weeks, and people are willing to branch out as the year goes by.