Friday, April 3, 2009

Next Semester...

They've posted the course listing for next fall's semester, and while a few classes sound interesting, the things I was planning on studying are fairly underrepresented. My advisor had told me to take certain classes this year with a variety of different professors in the writing department, but its looking like two of them won't be teaching any classes at all next year, another will only be teaching classes for first years and students working on their final project, and another is only teaching one class that I'll be able to take. Since I have the opportunity to be taking courses at other schools in the area though, I've looked into what they have to offer. There are a few courses that sound really interesting, but registering for them won't be as easy, as the other schools put a priority on their own students before they let students from other schools take their classes. The most frustrating thing about this though is that I had a pretty solid idea of what I wanted to study for the next two years, and not only are those professors not going to being teaching course I'll be able to take, but there are scarcely any courses anywhere that relate to what I want to study. Since it's going to be by second year and I'll be finished with my first-year requirements, I'll have the opportunity to take just about any class that I think will fit my self-designed path. But it looks like its going to be tough finding enough courses that really fit what I want to do next year without taking a few peripheral classes. I do have the opportunity, however, to do an Independent Study. I'm not quite sure how I go about arranging that, but if I can come up with a reasonable subject to study independently, I may be able to do that.