Thursday, April 10, 2008

"Learn By Doing"

My school's motto is "Learn By Doing", which became very real yesterday. I am taking a plant Biology class, and twice a week we have a three hour lab. So yesterday, instead of sitting in the lab, we went out on a field trip and hiked around the hills near our campus. It was so beautiful, and really fun to get outdoors. The only downside was, as our teacher put it, feeling the "bio burn" as we climbed up and down hills for several hours. It was just so neat to be able to learn in such a hands-on kind of way. My teacher, who is a graduate student, would stop us every few minutes and explain a plant and the community it was living in. Much more interesting than looking at them through microscopes. This just reminds me of how much I love college. The classes are challenging, but so much more interesting than most of the courses I took in high school.