Monday, May 19, 2008

Sailing

For quite a while my friends and I have been talking about visiting each others' houses, and this weekend we finally put all the planning into action. We were able to visit two homes, and ended down by San Diego. While there, my friend's dad took the four of us out sailing. I have to say, it was quite an experience. I always had the idea that sailing was very peaceful; very calm and mellow. So when my friend's dad kept apologizing for the lack of wind and how boring it was, I was slightly confused. That is, until the wind picked up. Lets just say I wasn't really prepared for the excitement. When there is a strong enough wind, one side of the boat can tilt really far into the air, and can even tip over. The first time the wind picked up, I was on the downside of the boat, so when the boat tilted, all I could see was a huge sail heading straight for me. So I jumped/fell off into the water. Honestly, I was amazed the boat hadn't tipped over. Anyway, after that I learned to hold on and to stay on the right side of the boat. I had definitely learned my lesson. The rest of the trip was great; especially getting to see where my friends lived and finally meeting their families. I have to say though, sailing was definitely the highlight.