Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Late Night work sessions are not a myth

The past few days have finally brought me what is apparently common in college, and that is staying up late working. I've managed my time pretty well, and while I've had tons of work, rarely has it gone later than 9-10. That was not the case with last night. I spent the weekend in Cambridge, staying at a friend of a friend's house at Tufts University. It was a really fun time, to be sure. I got to see somewhere around 8 hardcore bands. I've been in moshpits before, but the intensity of these shows has no match as far as I am concerned. I stayed on the sidelines at both the events I went to, taking notes for an article I'm writing for my journalism class. So throughout the weekend, while I was attending concerts, I was deluding myself into thinking that I was doing homework. The only thing I had due on Monday anyway was 45 pages of reading, which is easy, especially since it is from a novel and not a textbook. I completely neglected, however, the massive amounts of work due on Wednesday - 200 odd pages of reading, a five page essay, and a reading response. I would have definitely benefited from taking some weekend time to work on this stuff, but it all ended up happening on Tuesday. Luckily I only have one Tuesday class so I had time to get it done, but I am only human and therefore often fall victim to procrastination. I typically study in my room, but my computer was being too much of a distraction, so I went out in the cold night to go to the library. It's dead quiet on the top floor there, so without any distractions I managed to sit down, focus, and finish my Latin America book - which was also horribly depressing. I still had a five-page paper left to do, which wasn't really that hard - it was about Wartime cartoons, so as a fan of animation I didn't really get too stressed - but I was up until midnight doing it. I'd like to say I've learned my lesson, and I think I have, but sometimes homework still hits me pretty hard. Say, for example, right now. I'm reading the biography of George Bush, and it is almost 10. But a few hours ago the girl down the hall and I were playing bachi ball, both of us admittingly putting off homework. I suppose it's good to relax and take part in a little recreation though, but I can't stand staying up this late working.