Friday, October 3, 2008

The Work Swamp

Wow.  I thought previous weeks were tough, but this week redefined that entirely.  I thought last weekend seemed too light, and I realize now, in retrospect, that it was just the calm before the storm.  I had to read over 300 pages and come up analysis in response, watch two films, and begin research on a topic relating to Latin America.  On top of that I found out that I should already  be well into one of my long-term writing assignments.  Granted, I have a bunch of it handwritten in a notebook, but I haven't typed a word of it yet.  It isn't as bad as I'm making it out to be though.  Nearly all of the work is interesting stuff, and my Postcolonial class is starting to become more understandable, and I've been able to contribute to class discussion.  
I had a pretty good time last weekend, though.  Last Friday I had my radio show without my co-host there with me, but it still went well.  I'm pretty sure only my parents listened to it though. Campus was wild on Friday, as somebody had held a party in one of the dorms, in which the alcohol was consumed within a matter of minutes.  I walked in not long after seeing numerous people staggering out of the building, and after avoiding numerous drunk people, found that the entire building reeked of alcohol.  I found my friends inside (they happen to live the floor below) and we went to a concert happening on campus.  It was pretty cool music, and the crowd's vibe was great, even though most of them were inebriated.  
I went and watched the presidential debate in the main lecture hall on Friday as well.  Both the debates have been great to watch in the halls.  Not only are there students playing drinking games in there (take a shot every time Palin says "Alaska") who provide some interesting commentary, but everyone is cheering, laughing, and booing at the big-screen projection.  I thought this was a common thing on college campuses, but I found out that my college is the only college in the area that has big public screenings of the debates and election coverage.  So there's another positive - drunk though many of them may be, the students here do care a lot about what's going on in their country.