Monday, October 6, 2008

Look deep inside and Self-Evaluate...take your time.

One of the positives of my school, at least one of the reasons I chose to come here, is that there are no grades, tests, or specific requirements. However, that isn't to say that there is nothing in place of that. On Wednesday we have to turn in a "Midterm Self-Evaluation" for each class. These are one-to-two paragraphs essays detailing how we feel we've progressed as students in each of our classes. It doesn't seem to bad, it's not like I have to look any further than myself to find the answers. What it is though, is a forerunner to the End-of-Term Evaluation, which is filed at the end of the semester about the overall experience. It's an odd thing, how this semi-bureaucratic system is what is in place of grading. Don't get me wrong, I'm loving the no grades thing they have going here, but around campus you hear people talking about how they just finished filing their division 1 or 2 projects - even though it is the beginning of the year. This leads me to believe this whole divisional evaluation system may be more of a challenge than I thought, as originally I understood that the divisions directly correlated to the academic year. Apparently not. People end up studying here for more than four years quite often, and that scares me. The money for my tuition won't stretch that far. So it's just another motivator to work hard and not put things off. People get through here in four years if they do that.