Tuesday, September 25, 2007

College Classes

As I enter my second week of classes at college, I realize how much more I enjoy my schedule now than I did in high school. Not only do I spend a mere 3 hours in class each day, I have fascinating and entertaining professors, challenging classmates, and a schedule that changes every other day. I remember last year I would wake up and just dread the upcoming day. No, I wasn't depressed, and it wasn't because my classes were absolutely horrible. I was just bored with my schedule. In college though, it is very different. I have different classes on Monday and Wednesday than I do on Tuesday and Thursday, something that helps diversify the week. I also have a three day weekend every weekend, which, needless to say, is wonderful. I am not saying that these classes are fantastically easy though. My communications class has me continually on edge, thinking about my upcoming speeches. In Spanish I am working at understanding what my professor (who speaks almost entirely in Spanish) is saying to the class, and in Math I am trying to remember the PreCalculus I took two years ago. During orientation week the university made a big deal about students studying 25-35 hours each week. At first I laughed at this amount, but once I estimated what I did last week and what I will be studying this week, I realized that I am studying close to 25 hours per week myself. So yes, I am enjoying my college schedule. I love that I don't spend six hours each day sitting in a classroom and that every day is not identical. But at the same time, these classes are more demanding than those I took in high school and are challenging me to be the best student I can be.