Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Dorm Life

What is the weirdest, most enjoyable, and most drastically different event that I have undergone in college so far? Dorm life. And although it is extremely different than life at home, I find that it is one of my favorite parts of college so far. I should preface this by saying 1) I get along with my roommate, which makes a huge difference, and 2) I am only living with one roommate, not two, like so many girls in my dorm. I think that the best thing you can do while living in the dorms is to keep your doors open. This way people will just drop in to say hello or to introduce themselves, especially during your first week at school. I have been blessed with a wonderful floor and have met so many great girls and guys this way. And although dorm life does have its downsides, they are usually less than the good. For example, sharing a bathroom with an entire floor of girls is difficult, but it makes it easy to meet eachother when you are brushing your teath or washing your face. You are sharing a small room with a complete stranger, but that stranger can turn out to be a pretty cool person or have some really great friends. I know that last year I could not imagine living in a dorm, with the lack of privacy and space, but it has been remarkably easy to adjust. So, don't be afraid of living in the dorms. Instead, get excited about it and make sure you get a place in your school's dorm next year!