Friday, September 28, 2007

Dorm Life

College dorms are like no other place on earth. I know this sounds quite dramatic, but it is true. Ten at night is early, twelve considered the beginning of nighttime, and by two in the morning (and later, trust me) the hall is still alive and energetic. Four o’clock brings the stragglers and by five the building is asleep. The next day when the world has been awake for five, six, seven hours, college students are just waking up. If you were to get up at seven on a weekend, the dorm halls would be abnormally silent except for the few athletes taking their morning jog.
Matters of importance and knowledge have also changed. Tonight, the big debate in my hall was whether to watch the premiere for Grey’s Anatomy or The Office. You would have thought that something of great importance had happened in the news by the commotion that it caused. It is common knowledge what streets are the big party ones and I have probably heard more about beer pong than any true sport. The standard of good food has dropped significantly, and going downtown is like entering a whole new world. Yet all this change has not made me more homesick, but less. I have been able to keep myself occupied and keep myself from dwelling too much on my hometown and my parents. This weekend I am looking forward to catching up on my sleep and catching up on my homework.