Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Packing

I consider myself a fairly good packer. By that I mean, I know what I need to bring for a camping trip, a night at a friend's house, or a two-week long vacation. But what do I do when I need to pack up everything I want for an entire school year? First there is the clothes. As I start to separate the clothing I will and will not be bringing with me to school, I start to notice that the pile of clothes I am bringing is considerably larger than the one that is staying home. This does not bode well for extra closet space. Then there are the school supplies. Considering I am going to college to go to school, this category is, sadly, necessary. But as I have obviously never been to a college class, I do not have a good idea of what I will want. I can't decide between binders or notebooks, a laptop bag or backpack. Do I bring a scientific calculator, or go and buy a new graphing one? After the school supplies come everything else. And when I say everything, I am not exaggerating much. I need laundry soap and hampers, printers and ink cartridges, toothpaste and shampoo. I am bringing pictures, frames, posters, coffee cups, books, and purses. All the day to day items I always have at home I am relocating to a very small dorm room. I have 6 boxes crammed full of these items, plus one large storage box and a laundry hamper full of bedding. This seems to be too much and not enough, all at once. It will be interesting to see, in 4 days, if all my boxes even fit inside my room!