Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Moving In

How do I describe moving in to my dorm? It was so exciting and nerve racking at the same time, not to mention exhausting. When I got to the campus that morning there were already hundreds and thousands of students moving box upon box into their rooms. After going through this a few days ago, I feel that I can give you some advice for your own experience.
1. Find out if your residence hall has elevators. I am on the 3rd story, and my hall does not. My legs are still burning from all the stairs!
2. Don't kick your parents out right away. Let them help you set up and take you out to a meal or two. You will discover that most students are spending some last minute time with their families, which makes making friends move-in weekend a little difficult.
3. Bring storage boxes. The closets in most dorm rooms are not very spacious, and the same goes for the dressers. You will also need little containers to put miscellaneous items in.
4. Once you are moved in, meet the neighbors. My room mate and I went down the hall and introduced ourselves to everyone with their doors open, and it helped a lot. My floor is already starting to feel like a little community.
5. Leave your door open. People will stop in and say hello, which is a nice way to meet people.
6. Bring a fan if you dorm room does not have air conditioning. Mine does not, and my little fan had become a life saver!
7. Most importantly, be friendly. Everyone is going through the same thing as you, so this is a perfect time to make friends.