Thursday, October 4, 2007

Tests

Before I came here, my main concerns for college weren't if I would pass my classes or if I would have good professors. I dwelt instead on what friends I would make and how I would find my niche in such a big university. However, now that I am here, academics has played quite a big part of my day-go figure. Although I only spend about two to four hours in class each day, I spend a good chunk of my extra time on homework and studying. In high school, I was in the top ten percent of my class and was used to being one of the most hard-working people in the classroom. However, it hit me today that the students in my classes in college are all just as smart, or smarter, than me. This fact wasn't the most cheering of all, but it has made me take my classes seriously and become more competitive with my grades. An eight out of ten would be an okay grade on a quiz if I knew that the people around me got the same thing. Yet when they are getting nine and tens, it pushes me to try harder.
Although I have had a numer of quizzes over the last few weeks, my first tests tool place this Tuesday. College tests have always seemed intimidating for me, and midterms and finals just seem impossible. Yet I was surprised to find that they were...okay. Bearable. My Spanish test wasn't this horrible thing that I was doomed to fail. It was all manageable material. I was surprised when I finished it to realize that I was actually confident that I passed. On Tuesday I also had to give my first speech. If your anything like me, that sounds terrifying. Giving a speech to a bunch of college students. Yet looking around my class, I realized that I was now one of those "college students" and although they were all just a smart as me, they were also just as nervous. It ended up that my first week of tests wasn't the nightmare that I thought it would be. Surprisingly, high school prepared me for what was coming ahead. Saying that, I can't wait for the weekend and the sleep that I am determined to get.