Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Time

It seems as if I have never had more or less time. What I mean by that is, on one side, I seem to have a ton of free time. But on the other, the time here seems to fly by so fast, and already I am almost through the week. People told me that time management was important in college, but I never paid them that much attention. I mean, I was the queen of time management in high school; as soon as I got home I would do my homework, completing that before anything else. Now though, it is much more difficult than that. The "queen of time management" is now rushing to get her paper written and struggling to find time to study her Spanish. I think part of the problem is my schedule. After an hour-long class that starts at 8:00 am, I don't have class again until the late afternoon. This gives me so much time to do whatever I need to do that I start putting it off, because I think I have more free time than I actually do. Secondly, it is hard to balance your social and academic lives. During orientation week, my most important task was to begin meeting people. When school started though, that had to move down on my priority list. But when you are living in a dorm with a ton of other girls, sometimes your social life starts to take time away from your academic one. Not necessarily in the form of partying, which I don't do, but simply in runs downtown and nights in front of the tv, watching the Office.
Although it is hard to balance, it is not impossible, and I am starting to get the hang of it. Yesterday I spent the majority of my day writing and rewriting my speech and studying my Spanish vocab, despite the many other things I would rather have been doing. So practice your time management in high school so that you might be able to apply some of it when you get to college.