Thursday, October 4, 2007

Getting Involved

I know it sounds cliche, but I am starting to see that getting involved on campus makes a huge difference. When I left high school, I also left behind some major responsibilities. I was no longer the president of my school's Service Club and no longer a leader of the Renaissance Program, and I loved it. When I got to college I didn't want to be in charge of anything. And now, even though I am not ready to head up a committee or start a new club, I am starting to get involved again. Some of the clubs I have been checking out are Campus Crusade for Christ and Beyond Shelter. At Campus Crusade, I am getting to know some great people and have refreshing times of fellowship. Next weekend I am even going on a retreat with them, a great way to get to know more people in the organiation. At Beyond Shelter, a club that reaches out to the homeless in the community, I have the opportunity to get involved in my new town, not just my school. Although these clubs are great ways to get involved and meet more people, many of the activities I have been doing don't involve joining a club. Last week my dorm hosted a Grey's Anatomy party with Mocktails (alchol free cocktails) for anyone who came. We have also had nights were 20-30 girls (sorry guys) have overtaken the common room and watched The Holiday and The Hills together. Yes, the shows and movies are great, but it is the sense of community that makes the night a great one. So if you were over extended in high school, or maybe have never tried to get involved on your campus before, I would encourage you to get involved in your college. Now, when I walk around campus, I don't just recognize people from the dorm I am living in or the classes I am taking. I am starting to meet people with the same interests and cares as me, making me feel much more connected to my school than I would feel otherwise.