Friday, September 12, 2008

Everything Else

At this point I'm more or less settled into the college lifestyle. I've gotten into the swing of all my classes, and I've adapted to my schedule. My schedule is pretty accommodating to the workload. On Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays, I don't have any work before 1pm, so if I manage to get up early enough I can get a lot of work done. That said, the workload can be pretty intense. I've already written two papers and read hundreds of pages of text. My advice right now would be to treat all your homework like a job, and get it all done as soon as possible. I've managed it all pretty well and I've still found myself with plenty of time to hang out with my friends.
It has also opened the door for all sorts of cool extracurricular activities. A few nights ago all the student groups set up tables in the cafeteria with information and sign-up sheets. I signed up to have a radio show, joined the comics collective, and even put myself on a list for potential elementary school tutors. We'll see how that goes, I'd like to do it but I'm not sure about transportation or how it will fall in with the rest of my schedule.
Along with that, A friend of mine came up with the idea for a Shakespeare and Pie Club, which is a group that gets together, eats pie, and reads and discusses Shakespeare. I've always had mixed feelings about Shakespeare, but adding pie into the mix makes joining that group a definite "yes".
As well as I've settled in, however, a friend of mine here has already made the decision to drop out. He doesn't feel like this is the right school for him, and I believe he is homesick as well as generally unprepared for college. He's going to go back home and get a full time job, and then maybe enter a community college next semester, and hopes to apply to different schools for next fall. I think that it was probably the right decision on his part, but its really put things in perspective here, in that I'm loving this school, and someone just as easily can't stand it.