Thursday, September 18, 2008

Lost Continued Week of 9-12

I should have known when I signed up for theatre that I would have adventures. I did not realize I would have so many this early in the semester! I was late for my next theatre class because my ride hit construction on the way to my house. By the time I got on campus I was able to meet my sister and she agreed to walk me to class. She has the same class but she has it on Tuesday and Thursday. She told me she would take me in a side entrance that would get me there faster. Unfortunately, she did not know where we were. I can always count on my sister to add some excitement to my day! Got to love her! We spent several minutes going up and down ramps because the first door we tried was locked. Eventually we found my class and I was able to enjoy the film the class was watching.
Finally it was Friday. I only have one class so the day can not be too full of adventure right? WRONG! I decided to go searching for a building after class in order to sign up for a club I want to join. I did not know where the building was. Is anyone surprised by that? I figured it was early and I did not have anywhere to be so I decided to go on my own little campus tour. This brings me to my next myth about community colleges. They are much smaller than four year schools. I probably put two miles on my walker that day! Finally I saw a classmate of mine who had a map. He told me that the building I was looking for was right next to the registrar building. This frustrated me because I had been to the registrar building several times and I actually knew how to get there.  Then came the icing on the cake. When I arrived at the building the only entrance I saw was preceded by numerous steps.
This brings me to my handicapped tirade of the week. Like actors/actresses architects are clearly not handicapped. Let me give future architects advice on how to make buildings truly handicapped accessible. Make sure you make the ramp visible. Also if you put in handicapped parking spots make sure you put a ramp nearby! That brings me to the definition of accessible as it relates to ramps. The wheels get caught on every crack in the sidewalk and every lip on ramps. Even if it is just a small lip people in wheelchairs might need help getting across it. If something is "accessible" that should mean people with disabilities can complete the task independently ! That is enough venting for one week. I hope everyone had a good week and I will post another adventure soon because everyday is an adventure.