Wednesday, September 24, 2008

This whole clever post titling is getting harder each time...

I've been hit with a lot of work lately, but none if it has really been a drag. Except for the Postcolonial reading, which is still a bunch of intellectual nonsense as far as I'm concerned, all the work has been both challenging and interesting. For my World War 2 class I've been looking through old newspaper archives online, and reading about American sentiment leading up to the draft, and I've got to write a long paper about it, but it's still a fascinating subject. The same has been going for my Latin America class, which is definitely a more challenging class in terms of analysis and discussion, but being able to discuss topics like the ones we discuss in class is a great experience, something I never got to do in High School. I also had my advisor meeting, where my advisor (who is also my WWII teacher) talked to me about how things were going so far. I told him more or less the same things I've been posting in this blog. He also had a chance to read my first essay for his class, and while he had some constructive criticisms for me, he also said that I was a great writer, which is always good to hear.
This weekend a good number of people are heading home or to the city, and the same goes for the week after next, which is Yom Kippur/October break. A lot of people aren't as far away from home as I am, and I'm going to have to get used to being alone for good periods of time. It's not all bad though, plenty of people should still be around and there is always something to do. It's just that seeing that people are within a day's drive from the comforts of home really kind of sucks when I'm 25 hours away from home.
My friend, who was supposed to stay around for the semester left this morning for good. So much for that. Whatever, I'm having a good time.