Thursday, September 18, 2008

So it Begins

So It Begins
When I was first asked to write a blog I was nervous. Why would anyone want to hear from me, a young handicapped woman who will be attending a community college? Then I realized this blog could be a good thing. For one thing I can use it to share some of the additional obstacles physically challenged students face when going off to college. Classes have not even started yet and already I have discovered my first myth and faced my first challenge. Myth number 1 it is easy to get to and from college. I live less then five minutes from the college and my sister is also a student there yet I am still having transportation difficulties. My sister and I have completely different schedules, both my parents are usually busy in the morning and I don't have a license. Boy we are certainly not in high school anymore where everyone started the same time and there were buses. I guess I will have to make friends fast.
Another reason I am going to need friends is because I am terrible on directions In fact, I have already been to the campus bookstore to ask for directions. When I went to orientation everyone met on the second floor. When we had to get our student id's we had to go to a different building. We were supposed to simply follow the advisors. there was one small problem...stairs.  I had to use the elevator which took me to a different location then the rest of the group. Of course this caused me to be lost and that is why I ended up in the bookstore asking for directions long before classes began.
If you follow my blog you will learn that these kinds of mishaps occur quite frequently in my life. In fact when I was away on my own for the first time for a month I created a shirt that said "everyday is an adventure." that is my motto for the coming year I hope you come along and enjoy the ride. 

No comments: