Wednesday, September 17, 2008

"Closure in representation naturalizes the meaning of an image." ...wait- what?

On Monday I got a nice little break when my Postcolonialism class was cancelled for the day.  It's definitely my least favorite class, but then again that's not saying a whole lot since I love my other 3 classes.  Today was complicated, since the book we were supposed to have read was not available at any of the local bookstores, and our professor had not put it on reserve anywhere.  So I found myself reading an online version of the book, which, as I found out today, was not even the right book.  So only three of the twelve students had read the book, and the discussion was far, far over my head, and somehow some of the students who hadn't read the book were also able to engage in the discussion very aptly.  At the end of class I talked to one of my classmates, who also finds the class very challenging.  It was nice to know that I'm not the only one in there who's frustrated at the abstract concepts and disorganization.
Last night, a friend of mine went to the local movie theater and saw "Burn After Reading", which I recommend.  Getting there was a little bit of a hassle, as I have found the bus system to be.  As accustomed as I am to the small-town, middle-of-nowhere life, it's very different being at the mercy of a public transportation system that doesn't make many stops at my school, since it's further removed from the other colleges and stops in the area.
My friend who planned on dropping out has planned on staying at least until the end of the semester, as that would be an easier way to transfer credits and apply to another school with less hassle.  We'll see how he does until then.